Birchwood provides a central location for exploring Lochalsh, Skye and Wester Ross. The village of Dornie has a shop, Post Office, hotel/pubs (within walking distance of the cottage) serving lunches and evening meals. Nearby highlights include:
- The renowned Eilean Donan Caste.
- Beaches at Glenelg, Ashaig and Applecross.
- Walking / hiking opportunities around Lochalsh, Kintail & Glen Shiel.
- Nearby Falls of Glomach.
- The famously picturesque Isle of Skye.
- Numerous outdoor pursuits including walking, hiking, golf, fishing, horse riding.
- Stunning local scenery; brochs at Glenelg and Totaig:
- The picturesque village of Plockton:
- Boat trips from Kyle of Lochalsh and Plockton; Sea and loch kayaking:
- Wildlife and bird-watching opportunities: